01 June 2015

Blanket (Buttonhole) Stitch Flowers

The buttonhole stitch (or blanket stitch) is a stitch that I never really use. I always see cute flowers stitched using the buttonhole so I decided to try it out.

I traced flowers from this free pattern with water soluble ink.

blanket stitch flower

I found the pattern on the French Knots free vintage patterns blog (which you should definitely check out - there are tons of embroidery patterns!)


After I was done stitching I dunked it in water to remove the blue tracing lines. 


 Yellow french knots for the centers of the flowers. All stitched with 3 strands of DMC floss.




2 comments:

  1. It looks lovely. I always think of blanket stitch as an edging stitch, but it works well for flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And yes, I agree. I always thinks of blanket stitch as an edging stitch too.

    ReplyDelete